[Python-Dev] new syntax for wrapping (PEP 318)

Jewett, Jim J jim.jewett at eds.com
Thu Feb 19 18:48:49 EST 2004

Bob Ippolito:

> Also note that the patch also adds the same sugar to classes,

Michael Hudson:

> FWIW, I'm rather less convinced this is useful.

On the other hand, it seems arbitrary to say that you can do
this with one type of definition, but not another.

Phillip J. Eby:

> class Foo(object) [instancesProvide(IFoo)]:

[is more useful for]

> class Foo(object):
>      protocols.advise(instancesProvide=[IFoo])

I think this may be one reason this didn't happen before;
wrapping is good, but it isn't entirely obvious how to
write it or exactly what it should mean.  Given that, it
might be premature to use up the [] syntax.

This might be a good use of macros ... but I have a feeling
they won't appear quickly.

-jJ