[SPAM: 10.000] Re: [Python-Dev] Re: new syntax for wrapping (PEP 318)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Feb 23 19:49:37 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004, Greg Ewing wrote:

> To serve the function of being up-lookable, it really needs to be a
> new keyword, specific to this use, rather than re-using a generic one
> like "as" or "is". But I can't think of one that doesn't put undue
> emphasis on the mechanism, which I don't think would be helpful to
> either newbies or experienced users. Newbies don't want to be swamped
> with getting their brains around all the subtleties of how it works,
> and experienced users don't want to have to think about it all the
> time.
>
> By the way, there are already instances of syntax that people
> frequently find difficult to look up, such as the * and ** arguments.
> Maybe we could do with some kind of "explain" tool that you could
> feed a snippet of code to and it would provide manual references
> to all the syntactic features it contained?

What's really needed is a formal reference containing informal writing.
IOW, someone looking up ``def`` ought to find the information zie needs,
but more colloquially than is used in the Lang Reg.  Making a start on
that has been on my plate for many moons, but I've never gotten enough
tuits....

"Do not taunt happy fun for loops. Do not change lists you are looping over."
--Remco Gerlich, comp.lang.python