[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 309, function currying

Gisle Aas gisle at ActiveState.com
Tue Feb 24 10:31:59 EST 2004

"Moore, Paul" <Paul.Moore at atosorigin.com> writes:

> From: Peter Harris
> > Yes, that's currying alright, which PEP 309 does in no way describe.
> > Hmm.
> > OK, there is way too much imprecise thinking behind that PEP. Sorry.
>
> > Quick unscientific name poll.  Who likes...
>
> > * curry()
> >
> > * closure()
> >
> > * partial()
> >
> > * partial_apply()
> >
> > * delayed()
> >
> > * other ?
>
> I like curry(). The others don't bring the right concept to mind for me.
> I apologise if this offends the purists, but *all* of the recent attempts
> to "clarify" the difference between partial application and currying have
> simply confused me.
>
> If curry() gets screams of outrage, someone suggested bind() to follow the
> Boost C++ library's usage. That's tolerable, although I find it too generic
> a word.

Perl 6 plans to use f.assuming() for this.  Search for "curry" in
<http://dev.perl.org/perl6/apocalypse/A06.html>.  The perl6 folks also
use the term "curry" to mean "partial application".

Regards,
Gisle Aas,
ActiveState