[Python-Dev] OpenVMS file system and UNIVERSAL_NEWLINES support

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed Feb 25 05:15:59 EST 2004

On 23-feb-04, at 18:15, Jean-François Piéronne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am one of the maintainer of Python on OpenVMS.
>
> Building from time to time Python 2.4 from CVS snapshot, I have just
> noticed that all the conditional compilation against
> WITH_UNIVERSAL_NEWLINES has been removed.
>
> This is a major problem on OpenVMS.

Ah, I was afraid this was going to happen when I saw the checkin
message about getting rid of the universal newlines conditional.

The easiest solution (apart from putting WITH_UNIVERSAL_NEWLINES back
in) is to just leave all the universal newlines machinery in place, but
disable it. So, where the old situation was that there were ifdefs all
over the place the new situation would be that all the code always goes
through Py_UniversalNewlineFgets() and Py_UniversalNewlineFread(), but
on systems with record-based I/O these just call fgets() and fread().
Then there's only one more ifdef to go: in open_the_file() don't set
the mode to "rb" but just plain "r".

I assume that sockets and other places where WITH_UNIVERSAL_NEWLINES
may have been referred to aren't going to be a problem  for you because
those aren't applicable to VMS anyway, right?
Goldman