[Python-Dev] Re: new syntax for wrapping (PEP 318)

Mark Russell marktrussell at btopenworld.com
Wed Feb 25 16:52:40 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 21:02, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> I think another keyword would be pretty superfluous.  Function modifiers
> would be a fairly advanced feature anyway (I personally have yet to use
> classmethod or staticmethod), so the extra keyword would probably be
> unnecessary for most people reading and needing to truly understand a bit of
> code.  If they are deemed not all that advanced, they should probably be
> discussed in the tutorial.

Just a data point from a user: I use classmethod fairly frequently, and
I would *love* to see some syntax to support it.  As has been pointed
out before, classmethod (and staticmethod) are a part of the interface
of a function, and shouldn't be tacked on to the end of the body.
Please let me put them where people (and hopefully pydoc and pychecker)
can easily see them.

I marginally prefer [] to "as", but I don't have strong feelings either
way.  Both seem quite readable and pythonic to me.

Mark Russell