[Python-Dev] Re: new syntax for wrapping (PEP 318)

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Thu Feb 26 00:07:48 EST 2004

Josiah Carlson wrote:

> I suggest a supporter of the PEP take a look through the standard
> library.  If there exists a non-trivial number of examples of its use,
> maybe my opinion would change.  On the other hand, if in the standard
> library, there exists some _very small number_ of examples of manual
> decorators, then perhaps this is application-specific.  I have a feeling
> that including application-specific /syntax/ in Python is frowned upon.

Here are the "applications" I've used that I think could benefit from
the syntax:

  * Pyrex type declaration syntax (extends the Python syntax)
	*

  * PTL (extends the Python syntax and docstrings)
	* http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/doc/PTL.html

  * SPARK (abuses docstrings)
	* http://gnosis.cx/publish/programming/charming_python_b6.html

  * Grouch (abuses class docstrings)
	* http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/grouch/

  * XPath callbacks (abuses docstrings)
	* http://mail.python.org/pipermail/xml-sig/2000-March/002008.html

  * Python COM (and XPCOM) servers (separate metadata from functions)
	* http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-December/075488.html

  * Zope ZPublisher

	* http://www.zope.org/Members/Amos/ExtendingZopeSlides.html#11

When a feature is emulated over and over that's a strong hint that the
industry is asking for first-class support.

  Paul Prescod