[Python-Dev] Re: new syntax for wrapping (PEP 318)

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Thu Feb 26 12:47:38 EST 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Sorry, but you understate the capabilities of this new syntax and
> overestimate the need for future related syntax.  Try the following
> decorators in the current Python interpreter, using the clumsy def
> foo(): ... foo = decorator(foo) pattern:

Ok, let me give a total different approach that doesn't use new
syntax, just a little new semantics.
No idea whether it is better, but at least it is easy to read.
(Bob, I didn't know where to thow this in, so I used your message).

We now have:

class klass:
   def foo():...
   foo = decorator(foo)

Now how about this

class klass:
   foo = decorator
   def foo():...

   baz = decorator1, decorator2
   def baz(): ...

The simple idea is to change semantics that if a name already
exists before a def, it is checked whether it is a decorator
function or a tuple of these, and if so, they are called.

call-me-dumb-but-don't-call-me-perlish - ly y'rs - chris  :-))