[Python-Dev] Pie-thon benchmark code ready

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jan 1 11:25:34 EST 2004

> I still think that depending on <...> reprs should be non-portable
> and discouraged, also CPython is already rather whimsical in its own
> evolution (Python 2.3):
>
>  >>> class X: pass
>  >>> X
> <class __main__.X at 0x007E2C30>
>  >>> class X(object): pass
>  >>> X
> <class '__main__.X'>
>  >>>

> I may change my opinion if someone writes a (unit) test pinning down what
> is exactly meant by that somewhat.

That's a good point.  I'll add a SF entry to request these unit tests.

What you see as whimsical was actually done for compatibility reasons;
the new-style classes look more like built-in classes, whose repr is
<type 'int'> or perhaps <type 'module.C'>.  (It says 'type' if it's
pure C, 'class' if it was created by a Python class statement.)