[Python-Dev] Pie-thon benchmark code ready

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Fri Jan 2 12:08:20 EST 2004

Samuele Pedroni writes:
> at 0x<identity-hash-code> [is not unique],
> at 0x<hex(id(.))> suggests to much the what comes after the 0x is the same
> as what come after @ in the Java repr, which not being the case would be
> confusing.

Does "0x<hex(id(.))>" also have a performance problem? I seem to recall
your saying that a bit of work needed to be done to make id() unique,
and I thought I remembered that this work could be skipped whenever
id() wasn't used. That's all well and good since id() is not used all
that much, but __repr__ *WILL* be used all over the place. Of course, it's
likely my recollections are incorrect.

-- Michael Chermside