[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 324: popen5 - New POSIX process module

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Sat Jan 3 19:44:42 EST 2004

At 03-01-2004 19:02, you wrote:
> > There are some issues wrt Windows support. Currently, popen5 does not
> > support Windows at all. To be able to do so, we must chose between:

When it does support windows please make it work the same on all platforms.
The existing popen code for unix is buggy and not compatible with the
windows version or the docs.

> > 2) Write supporting code in C (basically, copy the required process
> > handling functions from win32all).
>
>Depending on how stable the code has been, this may be the best idea. As
>long as the maintainer of the popen5 windows support code kept
>themselves updated on the status of applicable changes to win32all, this
>should go on without a hitch.

The win32all extension is a thin wrapper over the windows API. The
proposed popen5 code would simply be some windows specific code that
calls windows API directly. There is no code in win32all that would
be needed to be duplicated as far as I can see. Did I miss something?

>  - Josiah

Barry