[Python-Dev] Re: Switching to VC.NET 2003

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Jan 3 23:52:50 EST 2004

At 12:02 PM 12/30/03 +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
>One thing that I imagine does need looking at is modifying distutils
>to check whether Python was built with VC7.1, and if so add a
>-lmsvcr71 flag to the gcc command line when compiling with mingw. This
>can be hacked by hand, but only at the expense of making setup.py
>version-specific (or doing your own test in setup.py).

No changes needed in either the distutils or setup.py, at least on my
machine as of this evening.   Apparently mingw is smart enough to figure
this out on its own.  Yay!

Of course, I haven't exactly made an exhaustive test that *all* extensions
are compilable with mingw, but I'm at least happy that all of the
extensions I normally build for Windows are okay.