[Python-Dev] SUCCESS! 2.4 extensions w/mingw (was Re: Switching to VC.NET 2003)

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jan 4 06:42:24 EST 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> It looks like everything's cool for building 2.4 extensions
> with mingw.

Very good! You should still double-check what DLLs your .pyds depend
on; this is best done with depends.exe (if you have that). GNU objdump
may also be able to do that.

> My only suggestion at this point would be to add 'pyconfig.h' to be
> installed in Python24/include.

Done (see other message).

> It'd be nice to throw in the
> libs/libpython24.a file, too, but it's big (603K) and I guess everybody
> who's been using mingw to this point either knows the procedure for
> making it by heart, or at least has a bookmark to one of the webpages
> that explains how to do it.

It would also require to have a certain amount of cygwin on the
packaging machine, right?

If the procedure could be modified to only use tools available on the
target machine, I could look into generating that library on
installation time. Alternatively, distutils could be modified to
generate it on first use.

Regards,
Martin