[Python-Dev] Relaxing Unicode error handling

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Jan 5 10:06:50 EST 2004

    >> I'd like to add a static property unicode.errorhandling, ...
    >> What do you think?

    Guido> This is a global default, right?  Seems to work for the socket
    Guido> timeout; I think the case for a global default is similar.

Not so fast, pardner. <wink> Note that the socket module's timeout would be
most beneficial to users of higher level modules (urllib[2]?, httplib,
ftplib, etc), not directly by programmers.  To the best of my knowledge,
none of these modules have been adapted to this new feature yet, so I think
it's still a bit premature extrapolate from socket.defaulttimeout to
unicode.errorhandling.  Also, as Phillip Eby pointed out, a UnicodeError
generally results from an error in my code, not an intractable problem.
(That's my experience, anyway.)

Skip