[Python-Dev] pybench.py stats

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Jan 5 23:17:45 EST 2004

> I thought you might find this interesting. For some time I've been
> running pybench.py as nightly cronjob against fresh CVS checkouts
> and recorded the findings. Attached is a PNG diagram showing the
> findings.
>
> The results are simple to interpret: there was only a very slight
> performance improvement over the last year.

Indeed.  I don't think there was a concerted effort to speed up basic
operations last year.  Several library modules were sped up
dramatically by C reimplementation, but of course that wouldn't be
measured by pybench.

But we may have to work harder -- after all I really wouldn't like to
receive pie in my face in the Parrot contest next July at OSCON!