[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/nondist/sandbox/msi msilib.py, 1.2, 1.3

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jan 6 16:13:14 EST 2004

Thomas Heller wrote:

>>!         for k, v in [(r"Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\Setup\VS", "VS7CommonBinDir"),
>>!                      (r"Software\Microsoft\Win32SDK\Directories", "Install Dir")]:
>>!             try:
>>!                 key = _winreg.OpenKey(_winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, k)
>>!             except WindowsError:
>>!                 continue
>>!             cabarc = os.path.join(_winreg.QueryValueEx(key, v)[0], r"Bin", "cabarc.exe")
>>!             _winreg.CloseKey(key)
>>!             assert os.path.exists(cabarc), cabarc
>

> The above assert fails for me, there's no cabarc.exe in the
> VS7CommonBinDir: Do I have to install additional software, apart from
> VS.NET 2003?

I don't think so. Where is cabarc.exe located, in your VS7.1
installation tree? It should be in common/bin, which in turn
should be listed in the first of the two registry keys.

Can you find out what is different in your installation?
Also, what is the resulting cabarc variable in above assertion?

Regards,
Martin