[Python-Dev] HP-UX clean-up

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Wed Jan 7 10:53:02 EST 2004

> From skip at mojam.com Wed Jan 07 10:43:39 2004
> 		.
>     Andrew> We have noticed that Python optimizes for the native processor
>     Andrew> on which it is built, and this can give problems on a different
>     Andrew> processor.  We therefore have to have flags that will force HP
>     Andrew> to compile for some common generic processor.  This affects
>     Andrew> everyone who has to distribute Python as pre-built binaries for
>     Andrew> customers, like we do (rather than building it on customers'
>     Andrew> machines).

> Andrew,

> Can you submit a patch with these changes?

> Skip

You're losing me, Skip.  What, to you, would constitute "a patch"?

I'll tell you *my* idea:  we teach configure a new flag, maybe
  --compile-generic
that means, "rather than optimize for the native processor, force
compilation that's trustworthy on all processors likely to host
this operating system."

No, wait; since autoconf and I dislike each other so much, let's
make it a *makefile* option, so that ...  No, wait; we can ...

My conclusion:  I really would benefit from hearing how others
see these issues.  I know enough about how big a subject
"portability" is to want to learn more.

It would suit me fine, incidentally, to move more and more into
setup.py and away from configure (which word, "configure", I can
barely say without prefixing an invective or two).