[Python-Dev] patching webbrowser.py for OS X

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Jan 12 15:06:15 EST 2004

(python-dev is not the best place for this.  If you want to submit a
proposed patch, please use the SourceForge bug tracker.  For more "how do I
do this" sorts of stuff, please use comp.lang.python (aka
python-list at python.org).  Your post sort of straddles both domains.)

    Brendan> I was trying to use the webbrowser module with OS X's
    Brendan> preinstalled python; I'm not very familiar with OS X, but I
    Brendan> just patched webbrowser.py to use the very generic "open"
    Brendan> command, which works for the simple webbrowser.open(url).
    Brendan> Any thoughts or issues?

All you need to do to get this to work is set your BROWSER environment
variable to "open":

    % env | grep BROWSER
    BROWSER=open

No source mods necessary.