[Python-Dev] Python in 2003 summary

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Jan 17 13:01:39 EST 2004

On Jan 17, 2004, at 12:14 PM, A.M. Kuchling wrote:

> [Cc'ed to python-dev, marketing-python; trim followups accordingly]
>
> Here's a first draft of a summary of significant Pythonological
> matters in
> 2003.
>
>        * What significant things did I miss?

The 2.3 release was pretty huge for the MacPython community (off the
top of my head):
	PackageManager
	framework build included in OS X 10.3 (versus a buggy non-linkable 2.2
build in OS X 10.2)
	near-complete set of extensions "out of the box" (versus a big list of
missing ones in OS X 10.2)
	some support from Apple in their Developer Tools
		a SWIG wrapper for the CoreGraphics API
		example scripts/documentation for using the CoreGraphics API through
Python
		the inclusion of BuildApplet
	Important enough to Apple such that they mentioned Python and
CoreGraphics in their 10.3 press release
	I'm pretty sure the Python 2.3 release schedule was even tweaked such
that it could make it into OS X 10.3 on time
	New MacPython community site (wiki and FAQ): http://pythonmac.org/

-bob