[Python-Dev] Re: Switching to VC.NET 2003

Bob Arnson python at bobs.org
Sat Jan 17 20:24:20 EST 2004

> Paul Moore wrote:
>> One item I noticed with this installer (I used the build 12421, which
>> I believe is the latest) is that there is no ability to specify where
>> you want the start menu entries to go. I regularly, with Python 2.3,
>> move them from "All Programs\Python 2.3" to "All Programs\Programming
>> \Python 2.3"

> I don't know how to do this. Does the current (Wise) installer offer
> user interface for this? Do you know of other .msi-based software
> that has that feature (and for which I might have the .msi package
> somewhere).

To do this, you'd have to treat MENUDIR the same way you treat TARGETDIR: Provide a default of [ProgramMenuFolder]Python 2.4 and provide a dialog to change it. I'm not aware of any MSI-based installers that offer this feature; the current "Windows User Experience" book says you should have critical shortcuts in the root of Programs and a subfolder only if absolutely necessary, so selecting a shortcut folder is kinda awkward...

--
sig://boB
http://foobob.com