[Python-Dev] Re: 2.2 features

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Jan 19 18:36:57 EST 2004

[Guido van Rossum]
> Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak at knm.org.pl> writes:

> > Now thow in 'isinstance' as an old way to spell a specific membership
> > test (for types and classes) which doesn't have to be learned about
> > at all.

> I love it.  'x in type' as a shorthand for isinstance(x, type).
> Checked into CVS!

The above exchange is dated 2001-07-31, and I'm merely glancing over
some old saved email.  The above feature does not seem to be implemented
in Python 2.3.2, as demonstrated by the script below.  Has it been
retracted?  Not that I really need it, however! :-)

Python 2.3.2 (#1, Nov  9 2003, 20:14:22)
[GCC 3.3 20030226 (prerelease) (SuSE Linux)] on linux2
from __future__ import nested_scopes, generators, division
del __future__, fcntl, termios, joined, character, nested_scopes, generators, division
sys.ps1 = '>>> '
from __future__ import nested_scopes, generators, division
del __future__, fcntl, termios, joined, character, nested_scopes, generators, division
sys.ps1 = '>>> '
>>> 0 in int
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?