[Python-Dev] dict.addlist()

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 21 22:57:36 EST 2004

Josiah Carlson wrote:

>>The meaning of d[k] is significantly different in section A than it was
>>in section B.
> For most any reasonable program, previous lines of execution determine
> the context of later lines.

True. I guess it was more a matter of dictionaries acquiring a piece of
'magical state' which had fairly profound non-local effects on their

The dictionaries 'default value' just seems to be something that
shouldn't change, whereas the actual data stored in the dictionary
changes all the time.

Still, I can't even convince myself that there's actually anything to be
concerned about there, so that's the last I'll say about it.

Nick Coghlan               |     Brisbane, Australia
Email: ncoghlan at email.com  | Mobile: +61 409 573 268