[Python-Dev] Hotshot

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Fri Jan 23 17:29:23 EST 2004

Nick Bastin writes:
 > Does anybody know the current state of hotshot?  I read on some of the
 > twisted mailing lists a while back that someone tried it but had some
 > problems (can't remember what off the top of my head...have to search
 > the archives), and was wondering if it was regarded as complete (and if
 > there was any documentation that talks about how the code coverage
 > aspect is supposed to be used).

HotShot has had some attention, and has been found useful, but I don't
think of it as really finished.  Issues have been reported relating to
making measurements when threads are involved, but I've not had any
time available for it.

There is some documentation in the Library Reference:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-hotshot.html

What's in the standard library contains the low-level profiler and a
hotshot.stats module that allows the same kind of analysis and
reporting as the pstats module supports for the older profile module.

There is support for collecting the information needed to measure
coverage, but no higher-level tools to make it easy to use.  That's
the case for the per-line performance measurements as well.

Any improvements to the analysis and reporting tools, or
documentation, would be quite welcome!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>