[Python-Dev] namespace for generator expressions

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) tdelaney at avaya.com
Mon Jan 26 17:02:17 EST 2004

> From: Guido van Rossum
>
> > I'm happy to see progress on the generator expressions
> implementation,
> > but I think the specification of namespaces, which is just a sketch,
> > might be simplified.
>
> Ouch!  Where were you when this PEP was discussed on python-dev?  I
> was originally strongly in your camp, but Tim and several others
> convinced me that in every single case where a generator expression
> has a free variable, you want early binding, not late.

I think I agree with Jeremy. I was originally in the early-binding camp, but I think we're better off trusting the programmer.

How often is a generator expression not going to be evaluated almost immediately? I guess, when they're passed to a function. But even in that case, how often are the bindings going to change? Except in pathological cases, they won't.

Anyway, got a meeting to go to :(

Tim Delaney