[Python-Dev] Proposed: change to posting rules for python-dev

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Jan 30 19:41:10 EST 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Barry> There's been some talk off-list about changing the posting rules
>     Barry> for python-dev, such that non-member post attempts are
>     Barry> automatically rejected (i.e. bounced).
>
> Wasn't that how things worked when the list was first formed?  If so, what
> was the rationale for the change to the current policy?

Not quite.  Historically, python-dev was a by-invite list, which
definitely led to charges of exclusivity; however, anyone could *post*
to the list.  Barry's proposed policy would allow anyone to subscribe,
but only subscribers could post.

I'm overall +0, speaking as the person who most often responds to
inappropriate posts.

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  --GvR