[Python-Dev] Proposed: change to posting rules for python-dev

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jan 30 20:32:32 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 19:44, Kurt B. Kaiser wrote:

> Moderating the lists is taking a fair amount of admin time right now.
> At least during storms, it seems reasonable to bounce non-subscribers
> automatically.  The bounce will tell them what to do to get posted.

That's really the biggest motive for my suggestion.  OTOH, python-dev at
the moment doesn't have a ton of held messages, because the list was
actually misconfigured to accept all non-member posts until about 4
hours ago.  What's there now is all unwanted (spam, virus bounces, etc).

Ideally, Mailman would have a challenge-response system for non-member
posters, but I don't want to get into that here.

Right now, Jeremy and I are the only admins and neither of us has much
time to be diligent in clearing the queue.  So maybe let's turn this
around: if I can get 3 volunteers to be python-dev moderators, we'll
leave the current policy of holding non-member postings for approval.
Otherwise, we'll auto reject them.

Email me directly if you're interested.

-Barry