[Python-Dev] Draft: PEP for imports

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jan 30 20:39:08 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 20:25, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 08:15 PM 1/30/04 -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>
> >Other than relative imports, the only other thing I occasionally miss in
> >Python's import semantics is the fact that more than one file system
> >space can't be mapped into one package namespace without trickery.  E.g.
> >if in "import my.package.sub1" and "import my.package.sub2", the
> >directories sub1 and sub2 didn't have to live under a directory called
> >my/package.
>
> Didn't Guido write a 'pkgutil' module for this?  Or am I confusing what he
> wrote with what you want?  :)

He did!  I totally spaced on that.  Okay, Python packages are more close
to perfect than I thought. :)

Maybe, though, it's time to get rid of this warning from
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-pkgutil.html

        Warning: This is an experimental module. It may be withdrawn or
        completely changed up to an including the release of Python 2.3
        beta 1.

:)

-Barry