[Python-Dev] making weakref.ref objects subclassable

Fred Drake fred at zope.com
Thu Jul 1 00:01:48 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 11:46 pm, Tim Peters wrote:
 > Well, there is no change to gcmodule.c, except for the indirect change in
 > what the PyWeakref_Check() macro expands to.  The risks with weakrefs

The change in the macro expansion is exactly what I was referring to; not a
source change, but a real change none the less.

 > For reasons given above, I believe gc performance will be virtually
 > unchanged for almost all programs.

That was my conclusion as well.  Empirical evidence with the Zope 3 test suite
suggests that's right.  If anyone has an application that would be
meaningfully affected by this change, I'd be rather surprised, and would
appreciate hearing about it.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>