[Python-Dev] making weakref.ref objects subclassable

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Thu Jul 1 11:16:28 EDT 2004

On Thursday 01 July 2004 10:43 am, Michael Hudson wrote:
 > Would "why?" be an apposite question?  I'm sure there is a reason, but
 > I haven't seen it yet :-)

Absolutely!  I hinted at the reason in my original email, but it was not made
explicit that it was the reason.

The change allows the WeakValueDictionary to be implemented in a much more
memory-efficient manner.  The current implementation causes each entry to
create and retain the following objects in addition to the actual key:

- a weakref to the value, with a callback

- a function object used as the callback; a new function is created for every
entry, since it contains a reference to the key in a default parameter value

- a weakref to the WeakValueDictionary itself, to avoid creating a cycle.

The last object could be removed without any change to the C implementation;
all that's really needed is a single weakref to the WeakValueDictionary that
can be shared by all such callbacks.

Using a subclass of the weakref.ref type (KeyedRef in the patch), the key can
be stored as an attribute of the weakref, allowing a single object to be
created and retained as overhead (with the allocation for that object being
at most 8 bytes larger than a stock weakref).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>