[Python-Dev] Tex files

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jul 7 06:48:21 CEST 2004

At 05:24 PM 7/6/04 -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>On Tuesday 06 July 2004 04:40 pm, Batista, Facundo wrote:
>  > The documentation, tutorial and other files is in .tex format in CVS.
>  >
>  > How can I convert them to a HTML or PDF format?
>  >
>  > I tried with pdftex (from tetex package) but it gives me structure errors.
>
>You didn't say what platform you're using, so this might not help you.
>
>On a Unix system with LaTeX installed, you should be able to "cd" to the Doc
>directory and run "make html" or "make pdf".  That *might* even work on
>Cygwin.
>
>For any other platforms, I've no idea.  All the real logic of how to do the
>formatting is in Doc/tools/mkhowto.  If that doesn't work for you, please let
>me know what platform and LaTeX distribution you're using, and what went
>wrong.

FWIW, I know that 'mkhowto' works in Cygwin using Cygwin Python.  I'd also
personally suggest installing Cygwin as the fastest way to get a working
LaTeX installation on Windows.  Just go to www.cygwin.com, click on Install
Now, and check the boxes for the LaTeX packages you need.  You will
probably at least want the 'tetex' and 'texmf' stuff.