[Python-Dev] file() or open()?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Jul 7 20:30:33 CEST 2004

[Guido van Rossum]

> Oops, yes.  I didn't write that, and it doesn't convey my feelings
> about file() vs. open().  Here's a suggestion for better words:
>
> "The file class is new in Python 2.2.  It represents the type (class)
> of objects returned by the built-in open() function.  Its constructor
> is an alias for open(), but for future and backwards compatibility,
> open() remains preferred."

This is slightly saddening.  I perceived the introduction of `file()' as
a nice cleanup in Python.  I wonder if the quote above states the real
reason.  Sometimes, we produce rationalisations for what was more of an
emotion initially.  Here, another message on the same topic says:

> Maybe you'll change your mind when open() can return other objects
> besides files.

Granted that `open()' may be preferred for backwards compatibility, but
if it is meant to change or improve in the long run, maybe it should be
avoided, precisely for future compatibility.

Currently, I use `file()' when the meaning of my code is to create a
file object to be operated upon, but to otherwise let Python manage it.
Yet, I still use `open()' when the meaning of my code is opening a file,
usually implying that I will also explicitly close it.  If `open()'
could return objects of various types, and my goal is really to get a
file object, may I presume that `file()' imposes itself as preferred?