[Python-Dev] Possible problem with recent weakref or bsddb changes

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Fri Jul 9 21:13:43 CEST 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:23:36AM -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:

> Greg checked in some changes to bsddb on June 28.  Fred checked in some
> changes to weakref on July 2.  One or both I think conspired to break
> Spambayes for me.  I filed a bug report a couple days ago
> <http://python.org/sf/986528> and originally assigned it to Greg.  I just
> switched it to Fred since his changes were more recent and seemed more wide
> ranging.  I just reversed those changes in my sandbox and am building now to
> see if it solves my problem.  Might be something to pay close attention to
> for the impending alpha release.  I know next to nothing about the bsddb
> package and absolutely nothing about weakrefs, so beyond trying crude things
> like backing out changes I'm afraid I probably can't be much help debugging
> the problem.
>
> Skip

Thanks for following up on this, I haven't had time to look to see if
anything I did might have broken it.  I suspect not but would love to
find out either way.

The commits on June 28 did add weakref support to the bsddb.db DB, DBEnv,
& DBTxn C objects (DBCursor has had weakref support for many months;
I just added it to the rest of the objects)

-g