[Python-Dev] urllib.urlretrieve() and handling 550 errors when reading from FTP

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Jul 11 02:20:13 CEST 2004

> Bug #635453 reports that when you use urllib.urlretrieve() to read from
> an FTP server and the file you are trying to get does not have the
> proper permissions for you, you are given a listing of the directory
> instead of an exception (this is all done by Lib/urllib.py:752).
>
> Now this doesn't make sense to me and I suspect most people would agree.
>   But having that explicit line there on top of it having been in the
> file since it was renamed from urlopen way backin 1994 makes me hesitate
> before I delete the line.
>
> Anyone have issues if I ditch the line so an exception is raised instead
> of getting a directory listing instead?

If you remove this, you won't be able to get a directory listing of
directories.  I tried this with and without the line; with that line
in, it gives a directlry listing, without it gives an IOError (Not a
regular file):

>>> urllib.urlretrieve("ftp://ftp.python.org/pub", "xyzzy")

So I'd be against deleting this, unless there's a different way to get
directory listings.