[Python-Dev] urllib.urlretrieve() and handling 550 errors when reading from FTP

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jul 13 02:50:39 CEST 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:

[SNIP]
>>If no one has any objections I will just clarify the docs
>>stating that if an attempt to get a file fails on a 550 error (and of
>>course I will say what that means) it will then try a LIST command and
>>if that succeeds that is what is returned.  And if you need more
>>fine-grained control then use ftplib.
>

> Sounds good to me.  Thanks!

OK, in as rev. 1.53 for Doc/lib/liburllib.tex in the "Restrictions"
section.  The wording seems fine to me, but after my already glorious
email on why test_strptime was faililng, I would appreciate someone else
reading and making sure it makes sense.  Once people have cleared it for
public consumption I will backport it.

-Brett