[Python-Dev] PEP 292 for Python 2.4

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Jul 13 15:04:39 CEST 2004

[Aahz]
> [Raymond Hettinger]

> > Please do give consideration to putting all of this in a single
> > module.  IMO, this is too small of an addition to warrant splitting
> > everything in to packages (which make it more difficult to
> > understand and maintain as a collective unit).

> That's true.  However, there has been a regular low-level discussion
> about creating a ``text`` package; why not simply name it ``string``?

Please do not use, as package names, identifiers that users would likely
want to keep for themselves. `text' and `string' are bad ideas for
package names. `stringlib' seems much more likely do not hurt people.

I know that `string' and `socket' exist, despite `string' is evanescent,
but they surely forced users at choosing other identifiers where `string'
and `socket' would have been perfect.  It is very good news that, now
in Python 2.3, `string' is unneeded most of times.  Let us not repeat
previous mistakes, or even nail them further by trying to be compatible
with them.