[Python-Dev] _bsddb too unstable?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jul 13 16:02:21 CEST 2004

I just wasted some time chasing down being unable to run the
Python test suite because the test_anydbm tests were segfaulting.
Removing the _bsddb module allowed the tests to run without
segfaulting.

(FWIW, I'm running on Fedora Core 1, with db4-4.1.25-14)

I get the impression that this is a common problem.
Berkeley DB APIs often change in non-backward compatable
ways that cause this sort of problem.  Perhaps these APIs
change too rapidly to allow the _bsddb extension to be included
in the distribution.  I assume that this is the fault of
the Berkeley DB libraries, and not the extension, but I don't
really know. :/

Jim