WHUI! (was Re: [Python-Dev] Proposal: C API Macro to decref andset to NULL)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 13 17:24:55 CEST 2004

> I still don't like it, because it hides the return.

It should be used in the core, but you don't have to use it in your own
code.

> I'd rather do:
>
>	if (self->foo != NULL && (vret = visit(self->foo, arg)))
>		return vret;

This violates the Python C style by putting an assignment in a conditional.
You'd need to put the assignment to vret inside the body of an if statement.
In other words, it would look just like the expansion of the VISIT() macro.

Jeremy