[Python-Dev] _bsddb too unstable?

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Wed Jul 14 02:27:58 CEST 2004

>> Berkeley DB APIs often change in non-backward compatable
>> ways that cause this sort of problem.  Perhaps these APIs
>> change too rapidly to allow the _bsddb extension to be included
>> in the distribution.  I assume that this is the fault of
>> the Berkeley DB libraries, and not the extension, but I don't
>> really know. :/
>
>-1
>
>The Sleepycat BerkeleyDB API rarely changes.  The extension is much
>more mutable as support for more of the sleepycat apis are added and
>enhancements are made to the compatibility interface, i'd expect this
>type of bug to be there first.

In contrast, I've found the Sleepycat DB libraries to be source of
never-ending grief, almost always because of subtle changes to the API or
the underlying data file format (but not bugs in the library itself). In
the early days (1.85), libdb fast, easy to use, lightweight, and reliable
(provided you avoided the well known bugs), and we used it extensively, but
I'm yet to have a wholely satisfactory experience with any version >= 2.

http://www.object-craft.com.au/