[Python-Dev] Python 2.4a1 use of c:\winnt directory

Joseph Klepach joseph_klepach at msn.com
Sun Jul 11 04:15:37 CEST 2004

[Klepach, Joseph]
>>The python 2.4a1 release using the msi installer insists on copying
>>python24.dll to the C:\WINNT\system32 directory instead the of requested
>>user
>>directory.
>>
>>This did not occur in the past and is causing a problem because my company
>>locks the c:\winnt directory on all user pc's.
>>Will this functionality be part of the official release?

[Martin v. Löwis]
>Yes. Chose a per-user installation if you don't want to install Python
>into the system directory.

Ah, OK, you're saying this is *already* available ... and it is.
Joseph, when you run the .msi thingie, click the Advanced button in
the second screen.  Then there's a radio button controlling whether to
install for all users, or just the current user.  I selected the
latter, and python24.dll was installed under my Python24 directory
instead of under a system directory.

[Joseph Klepach]
That's what I tried to do. Since I do not have admin privileges on my C:\
drive, I expected the python24.dll to be installed under my Python24
directory.
The Advanced button informed me that I did not have admin privileges and
would install under my local user directory: it did not.
The only other thing different was that I did not use the default
c:\python24 directory, but chose another one.

Regards