[Python-Dev] Planned changes to logging

Adam Souzis adamsz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 07:52:08 CEST 2004

(belatedly...) These are good changes, expecially the new basicConfig
constructor, but I'd like point out two issues with the logging
package that i think can easily be addressed:

One is a usability bug: calling fileConfig() disables any logger
objects already created that are not explicitly specified in the log
config file. Since loggers are often created when a module is
imported, it's hard to keep track of the order in which loggers are
created, leading to unexpected behavior because an unspecifed logger
created after the call to fileConfig behave differently -- it will
inherit its settings from its parent logger.
Here's an example illustrating the problem:

import logging, logging.config
import mymodule #this module contains a line like log =
logging.getLogger("mymodule")

if __name__ == '__main__':
  loggging.config.fileConfig("log.config")
  #mymodule.log is now disabled!
  #this seems like a bad design -- difficult to figure out what's going on
  #work-around: re-enable the loggers
  for logger in logging.Logger.manager.loggerDict.itervalues():
      logger.disabled = 0

Second, i'd recommend a minor change that would greatly increase the
flexibility of the architecture: store the entire keyword dictionary
in the LogRecord, not just exc_info -- that way arbitrary objects
could be passed to particular handlers or formatters that know how to
use them.  Some use cases for this:
* pass a unique error number.
* pass structured information about the message, e.g. for writing to a
database table
* for a localized message formatter (LogRecord already stores the
argument list for string interpolation but this is cumbersome for
localization since they depends on the order they appear in the
message).

thanks,
adam