[Python-Dev] Tagged integers

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Jul 16 06:00:34 CEST 2004

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net>:

> It's kinda hard to work seriously with lists and strings without
> integers :-)

That may be true in C, but I think it's far less true in languages
like Python that have high-level iteration facilities and string and
list manipulation functions.  One still uses *some* integers, but my
feeling is they're a much smaller proportion of the mix.

> This was, at the very least, a worthwhile experiment...

Certainly, but it needs to me measured on typical code as well, not
just code artificially designed to exercise integer operations, before
judging whether it's worth the effort.