[Python-Dev] bdist_wininst

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 03:29:42 CEST 2004

[Thomas Heller]
> Second, the default bitmap it displays is the old Python Powered logo by
> Just (that with the cool license ;-).  A much better bitmap would be
> that from <http://tinyurl.com/595xd>, which seems to have been made for
> the PSF.  There are two problems with this image: The size is 122x261
> pixels, while bdist_wininst would prefer 152x261 pixels.  Maybe someone
> can recreate the icon with a changed size?
> The file size, when it is converted to 24-bit color bmp, is
> nearly 100 kB, which is a bit large imo for an optical gimmik - but this
> can probably be fixed by compressing the image in the installer itself.
> Finally, I'm not sure I'm allowed to use and redistribute this image.

That looks like a minor variant of the graphic Erik van Blokland-- a
colleague of Just's --created for Python's Wise installer.  Erik asked
for an acknowledgement  in return for the work, and that's why the
Wise installer displayed this on its last (Installation Complete)

Special Windows thanks to:

    Wise Solutions, for the use of InstallMaster 8.1.

    LettError, Erik van Blokland, for the Python for Windows graphic.

    Mark Hammond, without whose years of freely shared Windows expertise,
    Python for Windows would still be Python for DOS.

So ask Just about this.  I don't have a current email address for Erik.

OTOH, the Python-Powered logo is quite recognizable now, and it's fine
by me if bsdist_wininst just leaves this alone!

> Third, the installer executable doesn't have an icon.  Personally I
> don't care too much about that, but Phil Hornby made two icons which he
> posted to the distutils list (the gmane archives do a nice job to show
> the icons on the web page):
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.distutils.devel/852>
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.distutils.devel/855>

For me, those both show little boxes with a red X, i.e. the image
couldn't be loaded.  Or maybe that's what they're supposed to look
like <wink>.