[Python-Dev] Re: Rationale behind removing kwdict from keyword.py?

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 06:09:35 CEST 2004

Jeff Epler wrote:

> In 2.3, __all__ = ["iskeyword", "kwlist"]
>
> In the absence of separate documentation, I think __all__ may be the
> best hint you have about what the "external API" of a module is.

Indeed, lesson learned.  In my slim defense, seeing in help(keyword):

DATA
    __all__ = ['iskeyword', 'kwlist']
    keyword = 'yield'
    kwdict = {'and': 1, 'assert': 1, 'break': 1, 'class': 1, 'continue': 1...
    kwlist = ['and', 'assert', 'break', 'class', 'continue', 'def', 'del',...

I (mistakenly) assumed kwdict was safe for usage.  Relying on help(), while I
acknowledge may have been mistaken, is not IMHO a completely farfetched error.
Oh well, live and learn :)

Thanks to all for the clarifications.  I'll be far more careful in the future
with my usage of stuff from the stdlib.

Best,