[Python-Dev] PEP 262 - active?

John Lenton jlenton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 15:04:38 CEST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:26:21 +0200, Heiko Wundram <heikowu at ceosg.de> wrote:
> Hey all!
>
> Is anybody actively working on PEP 262? I'm currently in the process of
> implementing something like it for a package I'm writing, and I'd be glad to
> sponsor the code once it's complete.
>
> I've tried to check out what's in the Python CVS sandbox, but can't get it at
> the moment because of network connectivity issues, and the tracker entries on
> the bugtracker aren't very helpful either (besides stating that the PEP was
> abandoned, and later reopened).
>
> If there's interest, I'll write up a short text describing what my package can
> do in addition to what PEP 262 describes, and how it's integrated with
> distutils.

I just read the pep, and one thing that jumps at me is that most
(linux) distributions already have most of the information; at most a
(python) distribution -> package name map is needed; everything else
can be done by querying the ldistribution's package database. Of
course that is ldistribution-specific, but have you given this any
thought?

One of the pains of using CPAN on a system that already does package
management is that it is usually impossible (or at least very
difficult) to keep both in sync; the proposed "package manager
installs files" is good, but maybe it can be improved...?

--
John Lenton (jlenton at gmail.com) -- Random fortune:
bash: fortune: command not found