[Python-Dev] Static builds on Windows

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 29 00:10:03 CEST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Thomas Heller wrote:
>
>> Related to this issue: Would it be a good idea to add a project to the
>> MSVC workspace which builds a static library?  This could either be used
>> directly, or as a staring point for customization.
>

> Depends on whether it is going to be maintained. If it is, it might be a
> good idea. If it is once created, and then only updated every two years
> when somebody actually needs it, it might be pointless - it would be
> just as much work to recreate it from scratch every time.

If there was going to be both the ability to create a static lib and a
dynamic lib, it would seem to make more sense to have the project for
the dynamic lib project simply incorporate the static lib, and export
the relevant symbols.

We do something similar at work (VC6, rather than 7), although we're
combining a dozen or so static libs to produce the DLL. All the real
source code is in the libraries, and the DLL project consists mainly of
a list of include directives, and enough symbol references to get
everything exported correctly.

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan               |     Brisbane, Australia
Email: ncoghlan at email.com  | Mobile: +61 409 573 268