[Python-Dev] Stackless Python

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jun 2 01:58:53 EDT 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> Well the tasklet/channel model of Stackless is a single threaded version
> of CSP, which has at least one Java implementation:
> http://wotug.kent.ac.uk/parallel/languages/java/jcsp/

However, JCSP uses java.lang.Threads to implement concurrency. So they
are completely unlike Stackless' tasklets in their implementation
strategy.

> That, of course, doesn't cover every single function that the Stackless
> API currently exposes, but tasklets/channels are the raison d'etre.

That sounds strange. I would have expected that the reason for Stackless
Python is to have no stack, not to have tasklets.

If you only wanted tasklets, you could implement them on top of threads,
without any need for extensions.

Regards,
Martin