[Python-Dev] VC 7.1 maintenance?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Jun 13 23:57:52 EDT 2004

> [Guido]
> > Is anybody maintaining the project files for Visual Studio 7.1?

[Tim]
> Martin, Thomas and I all fiddle it when we notice it needs
> something.  I view Martin as being the primary owner.
>
> > In recent checkins a new file was added (pystrtod.c) that isn't
> > included in the project file yet.
>
> Fixed now.  I was running on Win98SE when that first got checked in,
> so fiddled the VC6 project files (in PC/VC6).  Didn't have VC7.1 on
> that box.

Thanks!

> > I hesitate to make the checkin myself because I honestly don't
> > understand which files are affected...
>
> Just "the usual": used the GUI to add the new file to the pythoncore
> project.

Something I did to the project in response to some insistent messages
at startup seems to have touched every single .proj file, which is one
reason why I was hesitant to check those changes in.

> test_anydbm fails, I think because of some problem with Sleepycat
> bsddb and/or our wrappers.
>
> test_tcl doesn't get off the ground because it can't find tk84.dll.

Known problem, goes away when you install it.

> All other "-u network,largefile" tests passed on WinXP, in both
> release and debug builds (although I haven't downloaded the codec
> test files, so those tests get skipped).
>
> test_asynchat fails if you run it a *second* time, from .pyc/.pyo
> file instead of from scratch.  This is a known problem with marshal
> not knowing how to deal with a float infinity (don't ask).

So is someone going to fix it?

> test_zlib is much faster than it used to be <wink>.

There are a few other tests that are very slow, I believe test_thread
is one.