[Python-Dev] Possible addition to itertools

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Mon Jun 21 12:53:47 EDT 2004

[Scott David Daniels]
> One feature that I'd find nice in itertools is access to "universal
> newlines" behavior.  This would make it much easier to extend zipfile
> and other compression-related code to provide pseudo-files that
iterate
> properly.

My initial thoughts are:

* the functionality is useful
* it duplicates some code from fileobject.c
* ilines() is not abstracted from the problem domain like other
itertools
* it meets other criteria for inclusion in itertools:
  - iterable in, iterable out
  - does bring the whole input into memory
  - interacts well with other itertools
* unsure whether the needs to be Unicode aware

I'm interested to see whether a fan club emerges for this one.

Raymond Hettinger