[Python-Dev] VC 7.1 maintenance?

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Jun 22 05:49:20 EDT 2004

[for unknown reasons, this message didn't make it to the list]

Tim Peters wrote:

> [M.-A. Lemburg]

>>(Just asking whether it's time to finally open the VC7 shrink-
>>  wrap box ;-)
>

> Yup.  IIRC, it took about 3GB of disk space to do a full install (including
> copying all the docs to disk).  After it's installed, you won't recognize
> it, and will feel completely lost.  This is a learning experience <wink>.

I had to do this, primarily to try and compile Prothon,
and after half a day of playing with the thing, I think it
is better to use than VC 6. Some keyboard shortcuts are gone,
unfortunately, but those for the debugger are still there (sigh).
One tremendous improvement in the GUI:
You can now decide which windows are docked and which not, and
the docking concept is now so universal, that I begin to like it.
Every window can split itself, becoming a container for more windows,
it can become tabbed, you can drag windows out, and on and on.
This is really much mre handy. Before, I always had trouble with
my variable inspector windows. Touching them wrong, they would
snap into a place where I didn't want them.
And, now you can have as many VC instances as you like, which is
*very* handy when testing different versions against each other.

Does anybody have experience with the newly exposed COM model
for debugging? I'd like to write an add-on that allows to
inspect PyObjects more naturally, likewise using __repr__
calls to show PyObjects while debugging the interpreter.

ciao - chris