[Python-Dev] Re: decorators and 2.4

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Jun 25 06:01:25 EDT 2004

Hello Phillip,

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 01:27:03AM -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> About the only bit you couldn't do in pure Python would be decorating a
> function defined in a nested scope, because "fast locals" aren't accessible
> from pure Python.

Would you believe it?  Your implementation works just fine in this case too
:-)  sysmodule.c invokes PyFrame_FastToLocals and PyFrame_LocalsToFast around
a call to a trace function, so that any change to f_locals from the trace
function are actually correctly reflected into the frame.

Excellent.  Let's put this in the standard library and close the issue ;-)

As an easy extension, decorate(attr=value, ...) could just assign attributes
to the function object.  Also, the fact that it works with other assignment
statements is a bonus in my opinion, e.g.:

class X:
    decorate(doc("Number of instances created."))
    counter = 0

    def __init__(self):
        X.counter += 1

However, it gets a bit lost if several variables are assigned to in one line.

A bientot,

Armin.