[Python-Dev] VC 7.1 maintenance?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Sat Jun 26 07:58:39 EDT 2004

On Saturday 26 June 2004 12:37 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Phil Thompson wrote:
> > Because of Jack's original point. GPL code cannot be linked against
> > proprietary libraries unless they are part of the base system. Python
> > itself is Ok because it's not GPL.
>
> As Tim says, if you want to know for sure, ask the FSF for
> clarification.
>
> It is not true that GPL code cannot be linked against proprietary
> libraries. If you have the code, you can link it against whatever
> you want. The GPL does not restrict your right to link the application
> against libraries.
>
> The GPL only talks about distribution of things. If you include
> MSVCR71.DLL in your binary Python module, you would need to provide
> source code to MSVCR71.DLL as well. The solution is very simple:
> just don't ship MSVCR71.DLL with the binary Python module. It will
> work on the target system because Python has already installed
> that DLL.

Actually, it's simpler than that. From the GPL FAQ:

"I'm writing a Windows application with Microsoft Visual C++ (or Visual Basic)
and I will be releasing it under the GPL.  Is dynamically linking my program
with the Visual C++ (or Visual Basic) run-time library permitted under the
GPL?

Yes, because that run-time library normally accompanies the compiler
or interpreter you are using."

My (incorrect) understanding was that "operating system" was meant rather than
"compiler or interpreter".

Phil